Engineering is a profession that involves applying a myriad of scientific principles and mathematics to solve problems and produce design solutions.
When engineers study they specialize in different fields. Specialty areas that are required for various types of construction include:
· Mechanical engineering that deals with the design and construction of machines and systems, including those found inside buildings. Examples range from air-conditioning and refrigeration systems to escalators and elevators used inside high-rise buildings.
· Electrical engineering which also deals with design and construction, but which is focused rather on the full spectrum of electrical and electronic machinery, systems, and devices.
· Structural engineering that involves the design and construction of large load-bearing structures including high-rise buildings and industrial premises.
· Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) engineering which involves all aspects of building design and construction that relate to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering, including fire and sprinkler engineering services.
This brief overview indicates just how important good engineering is for construction projects.
Additionally, whether you are enlisting the services of highly qualified New York or Chicago Engineers or, in fact, engineers in any city in the world, you will find that they usually also offer construction administration solutions to ensure maximum efficiency and cost-effectiveness of projects. These, in turn, ensure that the quality of workmanship is maintained and project deadlines are met.
One of the scariest factors about building and developing properties both big and small is budget. If you’ve been involved in the construction industry, or have perhaps built a home, you will know the potential nightmare of exceeding the given budget.
The sad truth is that many construction projects exceed budgets for various reasons. This is bad news for those building homes, including DINKS with a double income and no kids, but even worse for developers who are involved in commercial construction projects that aim to make a profit.
Value engineering involves optimizing processes within projects that allows property owners and developers to benefit from reduced costs without affecting quality or performance. Ultimately, by ensuring that essential functions are provided at the lowest possible cost, it leads to higher profits.
But, and this is a very big but, value engineering is not a cost-cutting exercise. Importantly, it doesn’t utilize low-quality systems to save money or eliminate essential functions but rather explores alternative design approaches together with alternative options for materials and construction techniques.
Basically, engineers who specialize in value engineering unearth various opportunities for saving costs so that you can complete your project within its budget. Some, like New York Engineers, don’t expect any payment unless they are able to cut costs and save their clients money.
Here are some ways an expert in value engineering can get your budget back on track and help you to cut costs and maximize ROI:
· Spotting designs that have been over-engineered unnecessarily and making changes without compromising functionality. Some of the most common involve oversized systems designed to house piping, ductwork, and other mechanical equipment. Usually, it isn’t just the space they take up, but many aren’t efficient when it comes to the control of humidity levels either.
· Modifying or even removing systems or components of systems that aren’t necessary.
· Introducing and utilizing alternative design approaches that lower costs while still achieving value.
· Eliminating aspects from existing designs that won’t impact on the ultimate value of the property or the comfort of its occupants.
· Reducing designs to code minimum in terms of relevant local, state, and federal legislation.
In a nutshell, an engineering firm that specializes in value engineering will ensure the best value for every dollar spent on your construction project. So, if you’re embarking on a new project, it’s a good idea to hire engineers that offer this service in addition to the other engineering fields required.
Michael Tobias is the founder and principal of New York Engineers, an Inc 5000 Fastest Growing Company in America. He leads a team of more than 30 mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection engineers from the company headquarters in New York City, and has led numerous projects in New Y
ork, New Jersey, Chicago, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, and California, as well as Singapore and Malaysia.
Disclosure : Anunlimitedamountofmoney.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, We will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.